After four safaris to Africa, I can easily say that each one has been more amazing than the last, albeit for different reasons. Each trip stirred my soul adding a distinct and unique flavor to my travel experiences. I don’t know what it is about chasing animals with a camera that is so addictive, but it is. Who knew?
1. The surprises that unravel every day on safari make each trip a new and thrilling adventure. On our last full day of safari we witnessed the birth of a baby hippo. I'm told that we were truly lucky to have witnessed this rare sighting.
2. Planning a proper trip is so important. (Thank you Bonamy Travel) and good guiding is essential. I think my favorite guides were the local Masai in Kenya. Knowledgeable and passionate guides are a crucial element to a good safari. Their outdoor classroom is second to none. Sharing their personal stories kept us in awe.
3. Silence is golden. Just listening to birds chirping while out in the bush is quite a spectacular way to spend a morning. It is not all about the big five. These small creatures need equal attention.
4. The opportunity for the best images happens early in the morning. As the sun slowly rises over the horizon, it casts a warm glow on the savannah, dotted with acacia trees and kisses the animals good morning. Truly a photographers paradise!
5. The sound of elephants trumpeting is LOUD and gets louder when they head for your jeep. Mistaken for a threat, our guide had to assert our stance banging on our jeep and shouting to keep a mom from coming closer. Hoping that the language they were speaking was working, my heart skipped a beat or two, or maybe even three.
6. The Internet can be overrated. Ten completely uninterupted days of zero internet a blessing!
7. Dry dusty roads and mud make driving in the savannah difficult. Best left to the professionals to navigate the ditches, rocks and other challenges. A common occurrence with only one flat tire this trip.
8. Practice makes perfect! Unique photography challenges aside, I see that my photos are improving with each trip.
I'm optimistic that we will return soon!
9. My favorite word to describe safari ~ MAGICAL!
With each safari, I fall more deeply in love with the savannah and the incredible creatures that call it home.
I will always cherish the memories and the excitement of each one of my safaris. For now, I will continue to plan new adventures near and far. There are countless places around the globe that excite my adventurous spirit and my desire to explore. I'm not at a loss of places I want to see. Even so, I am already looking forward to the next time I can return to the African savannah.
Until then, I’ll be lost in daydreams of sleepy lions, speedy cheetah, majestic elephants and all that magic!